Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Response: About Gas Chamber, Land Nav, Combat Course

To my Cherry Girl,

It's been awhile since I've written, have been very busy. Tomorrow is Sunday and two weeks from that we get our phones! What we did this week

Tuesday - medical obstacle course. Was pretty difficult, had to use different carries and stretchers and get past obstacles

Thursday - Gas chamber. It sucked pretty bad. First your skin starts burning like you have a really bad sunburn everywhere, then they have you take off your mask, hold your eyes open, and wait. Instantly your vision gets blurry, your eyes burn worse than they ever have before, and when you try to breathe in, there is virtually no oxygen in the air. So as you struggle for air, the gas is burning it's way down your throat and to your lungs. Also, we marched roughly 6 miles with around 70 lbs of gear in 95 degree+ weather.

Friday - We did Land navigation all day. It was really cool. The course was a huge wilderness of probably 200 or more acres. We got in groups of 5, got coordinates, and were set free. 4 hours with no drill sergeants was really cool. We had to plot the coordinates, shoot azimuths, and find placards with alpha-numerical codes, i.e. F36, and record them.

Satuday/Today: we did the "Combat Confidence Course," which is the obstacle course you always see in boot-camp movies. It was actually very similar to the cliche bootcamp obstacle course. It was hot, tiring, and difficult, but all in all I did really well and sped through all the obstacles.

I know for sure that my graduation is October 25th, family day is the 24th. My drill Sgt. always calls me "Quantum Physics" and everyone thinks I'm super smart. They volunteered me to represent the platoon with 9 other people in a quiz w/ the first sgt. Let me explain platoons and such:

Platoon = ~60 PVTs, 3 drill sgts, 1 platoon drill sgt
Battery = 4 platoons, 1 first sgt, 1 Commander (Captain)
the platoons are highly competitive
1st platoon = the dark knights
2nd platoon = the Reapers
3rd platoon = Wolf Pack
4th platoon = the Punishers
and we are all part of Delta battery.

I'm in 3rd platoon.
Most day to day activities are Just with your platoon but training is as a battery. Also, a thing I forgot to mention about land navigation. There were spiders in the fields apparently called banana spiders. I almost cried they were so huge. There is also new muscles popping up on my arms. To answer your question on sleep, a good night yields 6 hours. Love you,

-*My Soldier*

XXXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment